This is another hard one to write. I can’t tell you names or show pictures this time. I can’t, however, overlook the four women who have made the cultural part of this semester. It’s one thing to go visit a girl’s home for an hour to tell a story or to teach a couple hours at a school, but I’ve really learned most of what I know about South Asian culture from these women. They are sweet and wonderful. They think we are hilarious. I love treating them like friends from home. They think our American-isms are a hoot.
They’re all special in their own ways and I could write a long blog about each if it was safe, but I must say that there is one in particular that I will miss the most. She has become one of my dearest friends here. She has a servant’s heart and a selfless attitude that show as she pours into her job without complaint. Even though she is the only non-Sister there, she acts the most like what we should be. Some of my best memories from here will be from the times we set up lunch together. She would scoop rice, then I would scoop daal, then she would scoop the egg/veggies/chicken/potatoes and I would take the finished bowls to the other room. We had a system, and I loved it. I love talking to her. I love her broken English. I love her sweet, sweet laugh. Yarp for her. I can die happily once I hear of her becoming a Sister.
The others are wonderful too, of course. Our two teachers are sweet and so intelligent. They are great at what they do. They are polar opposites but they work so well together and I love them both dearly. Our administrator is a hoot. She probably has the biggest personality of anyone I know. She haggles like it is an Olympic sport. She responds well to authority but shines when you give her the chance to lead. She hopes when others would quit. She’s amazing. They’re all amazing. I honestly don’t know what I’ll do without them in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment