02 March 2011

So if you have a lot of ink, then you should get a Yink, I think.

Again, I’m sorry I’m not blogging enough.  This week has been crazy.  I’ve been dealing with a nasty cough that’s finally getting better, and all the coughing is bringing back some old pain in my ribs.  Combine all that with mild sleep depravation and a dash of culture shock, and you have a recipe for grumpiness which, unfortunately, I’ve been pretty guilty of at times this week.  Yesterday and today, however, have been wonderful.

I won’t go into yesterday in this blog, as there’s still things to be figured out about it, but I’ll just say that I’ve got a great idea developing in my head that may turn into an awesome thing within the next few weeks.

Today was amazing.  I went to the free school again, and for some reason, I always dread going.  Maybe I just don’t feel prepared, or maybe I’m worried that they’re not understanding me at all, I don’t know.  Today, though, was the most fun I’ve had in a long time.  In each of the classes we did a little of the normal curriculum (we have government issued books to follow) and then, for the second half of the class, I decided to mix it up by reading them Dr. Seuss.  I was only going to do this for the 3rd graders, but they received it so well that I worked it in with 4th, 5th, and even 6th.  We read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and man, I forgot what a crazy book that is!  They loved it though.  The pictures and rhymes helped them understand at least some of it, and when I finished I went through and taught them a lot of vocab from it on the board.  It was so fun.  They laughed, either at the book or at the crazy white girl reading it, but either way, they laughed, and I loved it.  They may think America is like Seussland now, but that’s ok.  It was great.

There is some awesome stuff going on in this city.  Keep yarping.

3 comments:

  1. I love you! Chin up, the culture shock gets easier. May God's grace follow you wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool story. I'm glad you were able to find something that got them (and you) so excited. Ooh, ooh! Do There's a Wocket in My Pocket or Hop on Pop next. Those are my faves. ;-D Hope you keep having those happy moments to keep things in perspective for you. I know you wouldn't be anywhere else right now but that doesn't mean it's easy all the time. I miss you as always. Love ya sexy lady.

    ReplyDelete