07 March 2011

“Slimy… yet satisfying.”

No, I’m not talking about our food here ;)

Weekends are good.  I thought I appreciated weekends back home, but man, when you walk up five flights of stairs on a Thursday afternoon and know that you can stay inside all day the next day, it’s a good feeling.  True, most of that day indoors is spent lesson planning or studying language, but it’s also a good time to read a book or watch movies.  We managed to do a Lion King double feature this weekend, which was wonderful.  Tonight, we did both Madagascar movies.  Did I mention I’m reading the Narnia books finally?  In other words, too many lions in my brain.

Not much to blog about.  Some cool things are starting up now – at the Center, we now have one day each week that a tailor comes in and teaches all the older girls to sew, which is an awesome trait for them to learn.  On Fridays she comes in and meets with the mothers and teaches them.  Yarp for this!  Also, please please yarp for something new I’m trying to start – an “internship” of sorts with maybe 2 girls, where I’m hoping to teach them jewelry-making so they can hopefully get to the point that they can do it on their own and make some money off of it.  Anything to get them out of the slums.  We have an abundance of supplies for it, thanks to the efforts of ladies who have been here before me, so now my struggle is in choosing who to teach, figuring out who has a knack for it and a heart for it.  So yarp.

Thanks.  I love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous that you watched the Lion King!! It's coming out on DVD this Fall, so someone will be getting it... (I used to say that "Slimy, yet satisfying" line whenever I ate chicken noodle soup).

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete