Seven weeks from now, I’ll be on my way to debrief, and less than a week after that I’ll be headed home. In honor of that, I thought I’d list seven things that I am grateful about in this country, things I may have worried about before or that I’m realizing now that I’m blessed to have. Again, no particular order here.
1 – Western toilets. Anyone who has ever experienced a squatty potty in their life understands why this is a big deal.
2 – The food. I was worried it would be too spicy or boring or just not good, but it has been wonderful. I’ve grown quite fond of rice and daal every day. A lot of the people around me don’t always like it, so maybe it’s just because I’m not a picky eater, but I think I’ll miss some of this food when I go home.
3 – A team that is like a family. Sure, we have problems like a family, but we also can forgive each other like family. We can count on each other. We all struggle, so we all understand each other’s hardships.
4 – The girls. I guess I wasn’t actually worried about this one, but still, I have to say that I love them dearly. They make it so easy to get out of bed when I’m exhausted.
5 – My support network at home. I’m really learning a lot about my friends and family back home by the effort people put into staying in touch. It means a lot to me that you read this blog, whether or not you comment. Especially those of you who I don’t really know well. NorthSiders, you have also been a huge support. Of course, my family is the greatest of all these. I love you guys.
6 – City life. I was born and raised in a small town, and I went to college in an even smaller town, so I’ve always been fascinated by large cities simply from my lack of experience with them. Living in such a huge city overseas has been a blessing, especially when it comes to modern conveniences. Comfort food, like cereal and macaroni, is easily accessible here (though expensive!)
7 – The Father’s unfailing support. True, I knew He would be great, but He still sweeps me off my feet all the time, and I’m even more excited than ever about living the rest of my life with Him at the center.
So that’s where I’m at now. I’ll see you guys soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment