Tomorrow will mark a week that we’ve been in this city. What an amazing week it has been! We’ve spent most of our time at the school with the girls, but this coming week, we’ll begin to explore our other activities here. Yesterday, we went storying for the first time in one of the slums that some of our girls are from, and this morning, we split into teams for home visits to check in with the families and my group went back to the same area. This morning, however, was quite the adventure as we encountered what they affectionately call “the Hill.” My chacos have already proven to be a worthwhile investment. My body is sore and I think I pulled a leg muscle, but it was worth it to see where our girls are coming from. I hope to go back to that same area many more times.
We had house c (fellowship) today, and that was wonderful. It was great to put faces to the many names we’ve been hearing about over the past few weeks and even months and to hear encouraging stories from throughout the region. I’m glad we have such a strong support group here to yarp with and study with.
We’ve also been to two “fun fairs” in the past two days for two of the schools in the area, and they’ve been pretty exciting. I saw a wooden ferris wheel today, man operated. Quite the sight. We got to conclude our marathon weekend with Pizza Hut. Most weekends will be much, much less busy, but I must say, this one was fun.
Back to school in the morning! I start my language classes tomorrow, finally!
Love you all.
Hey Rachael. So glad to read your blog and be updated. I can just picture it all ! Thank you for serving and for letting us in on things. We miss you so much at NSBC, but we are so proud of your service there. Keep posting ! We are praying for you !
ReplyDeleteDid you ride said man-operated wooden ferris wheel? What I would give to see pictures of that. XD
ReplyDeleteAnyways, can't wait to see how you pick up the language and how it compares to your experience with the Ukranian language.